Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year


Winter has long been one of my favorite seasons. Not because of the inversion, bitter cold temperatures, or the end to football, but rather because it means that snow blankets ground. I know that snow is cold and this somewhat contradicts the bitter temperatures that I don't like, but snow is one of God's great gifts to us.

This year, I'm enjoying the snow (what little has fallen thus far) to the fullest. We enrolled Cass and Lily in the StartNow program at Park City and it has been so fun watching their love for skiing grow. At least I'm hoping they are loving it. Maybe it's just that they like pleasing their dad and getting some special time with me. Or maybe it's all the cool snow gear that we bought them. Whatever it is, though, I'll take it.

After 2 of the 5 lessons that we signed them up for, they are getting good at the "Duck Walk", snowplow (or Pizza as they call it), turning, stopping, and making pretzels (skiing parallel on the flats). Last week I took them up to Alta to practice what they have learned so that they wouldn't digress too much during Christmas break. On the way up to the resort, the girls asked if we could listen to some music to psych ourselves up. Their request: The Nutcracker Suite. Who knew that classical music that is typically heard only at Christmas time would be just what we needed to be amped up to ski? Not me, that's for sure. But I guess that is life with little ballerinas. The ski day went well, but we returned home completely famished. I guess talking about pizza and pretzels for a couple of hours will do that to you.

I'm really proud of their development and I love spending time with them while doing something that I really love. Now, if only it would snow........

1 comment:

Kristen said...

They look so cute in their snow gear! I haven't been skiing in ages, but I used to hate it when little kids would fly by me, obviously better skiers than I was:)