Thursday, April 19, 2012

When I Grow Up - Getting Old

A few weeks ago, my sister-in-law blogged about how rough it is to get old. She is on the cusp of turning 30 and I guess that is starting to worry her. My response: As it should! You see, there is a reason why people only lived to be in their 30's and 40's in the middle ages. Once you get in your 30's, your body starts falling apart and general physics start attacking you. Let me share a couple of examples.

First, a few weeks ago, Gravity decided to take hold of Nina and throw her down the stairs. Since she is in her 30's her body isn't quite as quick to recover and so she has been dealing with a bruised and/or broken tailbone for weeks. Now, if she were a little kid a band-aid and some ice cream or M&M's would have healed her that same day.

Second, some time ago I was bowled over by an out of control skier up at Snowbird. I was lucky to be wearing my helmet, but my body could have used impact gear. Since then, I have been suffering from pain in my shoulder. As a teenager, I'm sure this would have healed after even just a week.

Third, 2 weeks ago while at work, I started having intense pain in my wrist and thumb. Turns out that if you do repetitive action too much, you can sprain your tendons and end up wearing a heavy duty wrist guard for 2 weeks. According to my doctor, I need to find a new job where I don't repetitively do things like type and use a mouse. I guess that means I need to become a tour guide or something.

With all the medical hardship at our house lately (between Nina and me), we have found ourselves fortunate to get a live in doctor. Dr. Maggie has been taking care of us and giving us routine checkups - multiple times each day.



It's amazing what a hair headband with a flower on it, a magnifying glass found in a cereal box, and a diagnosis book showing American Girl dolls can do. Tonight Dr. Maggie told me my arm was broken but still OK. Next, she diagnosed me with the horrible disease "RP-Dizzy". Apparently after eating ice cream and mowing the lawn, I caught this disease and now my whole body and especially my eyes will all turn pink. The cure: brush my teeth and get kisses from the nurse (Lily). But, I need to be careful because it's highly contagious. My phone and the chair I was sitting on even caught the disease. At least we have a doctor in the house that can cure anything.

So, my advice to everyone that is getting older: don't get old, watch out for the devious Gravity monster, and by all means keep a doctor in the house.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That just answered so many questions for me! My aches and pains are because I'm old! Thanks Mike. Does Dr. Maggie do consults?

lizard said...

Uh, this did nothing to appease my fear of turning 30. RP-dizzy sounds serious, does it run in families?