Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Now that I'm Five...

Every sentence I hear lately starts "Mom, Five year olds..." and "Mom, now that I'm five, I can..." etc. Who knew that once you turned five you had all the answers to all the questions that could ever be asked. For example, it was slightly raining one morning, and of course Cass had to get her umbrella out to walk the 5 steps down our walk to get the newspaper. As Mike was leaving for work, Cass stops him, and reminds him that he better wear his green rain jacket to avoid getting wet from the July (read: hot) rain. Now that she's five, she knows about things like rain protection.

I'll be honest it was a long birthday week. We had 4 birthday parties for this little princess turning 5. She has so many new toys, I've threatened many times already to do some serious toy cleaning and donate half of her old toys. Anyone want to come Christmas shopping at my house? She was such a sweet girl for all her parties, and she was so good about sharing all her new toys with Lily. I don't know how I got so lucky to have my girls be such good friends.

Anyway, the week began with a Pirate/Princess party with all her friends. They all came dressed in their finest princess costumes, and the lone boy came in a football jersey. It was a sight to see.
The next party was the following night at Mike's parents house. We invited my family over for a swimming party. Cass was in heaven with all her many cousins. We made it though the night without a casualty. Not for lack of trying. My oldest brother almost jumped into the swimming pool fully clothed to save my nephew who was a little too brave in the water and found himself in a troubling spot. Luckily, my sister (the aforementioned nephew's mother) was standing next to him and saw him a split second later, and jumped in to save him.
This picture cracks me up. I couldn't even see Cass while she was opening her presents because all her cousins were crowded so tightly around her. I finally made them spread out a little so I could take a picture.
The next party was the following day (the actual birthday). Just a small party with our little family. We had Cass's favorite food all day long. She wanted scrambled eggs and sausage and sticky buns for breakfast (none of which she ate, but she was sure excited to have it sitting in front of her) and for dinner, she got a Happy Meal from McDonalds and she was thrilled. We went shopping for her new bedroom furniture later that evening. We found a cute sleigh bed and night stand that will be delivered next week.
Isn't Lily a good sister, to help Cass with all her new toys and presents. You can't see it in this picture, but Lily's shirt is on backwards as usual. When I ask her why her clothes are on backwards, she looks at me like I'm the crazy one, and tells me "Mom, I like it backwards and inside out." I guess that is a good explanation for my daughter. Just a little backwards and inside out.

The final party was last night with Mike's family. We went to his parents house for another swimming party. We just did cake and ice cream and presents of course. It was a low key affair, but Cass loved it. I haven't downloaded the pictures from that party yet, but you get the basic idea right?
I'm really glad it is all over. It was a hard and long week for other reasons that maybe I'll blog about later. But anyway, it's really fun to see my daughter grow up, and by the way, now that she's five, isn't she just the cutest five year old you've ever seen?

1 comment:

The Clements Family said...

Hey Nina, It looks like you had your hands full all week long. Your girls are so cute and are at such a fun age. I love it. Talk to you soon, Megan