Friday, November 14, 2008

2 Coughing Cats

We have had sickness at our house the past 2 weeks. Mike and Lily have both had colds, with the accompanying coughs. They both cough a lot. Mike started coughing one evening and Lily soon started in. I told her she was a big "copy cat." To which she replied, "yeah mommy, we're big coughing cats."
Due to the aforementioned cold sypmtoms, the sleeping situation in our house has been less than ideal. Mike has been snoring like a bear (and coughing), and Lily has been coming into my room every night around 3:00, and coughing, apparently like a cat. This has drastically reduced the amount of sleep I have been getting. Finally after a week of very little sleep, I walked Lily back to her room, so I could hopefully get some sleep with fewer interruptions. I took the long walk down the hall, up the stairs, and down another long hall (who's idea was it to put the master bedroom in the basement anyway?) and walked into Lily's, now freezing cold, room. Her room has two outside walls, and has always gotten a little colder than the rest of the house. For the past several years, we always say we are going to insulate the attic over her room better, so her room will stay warmer. Sadly, as the slacker parents that we are, we always forget, and then summer comes, and it isn't as important, and then winter comes again, and are you starting to see the vicious cycle we fall into? Anyway, back to 3:00 in the morning. I stomp back downstairs to my bedroom, with my charming, coughing, sick and snoring husband lying so peacefully in our bed, and yell something to the effect of "I thought you were going to put insulation over Lily's bedroom, it's freezing in there!!!! No wonder she keeps waking ME up in the middle of the night." And then I'm just too mad to sleep anyway, so I just go lay out on the couch, rather than listen to the rasping breathing. By the next morning, I apologize for being so grouchy. Mike is forgiving as always. I, in typical fashion, forget all about it.

Mike came home that night with 2 large rolls of insulation, and face masks. He then spent the evening in the attic working with insulation, which I gotta tell you is his personal Hell. He hates to climb ladders, he hates heights, and he really hates insulation. And that particular night he got to combine all three. So, instead of studying like he needed to be doing, he was in the attic, spreading insulation.
This is how I know my husband loves me.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Good job Mike! Now quit coughing like a cat! (:

Kristen said...

We are going through the same thing here--and you know, misery loves company. I'm sure I look like a drunk every morning--and I feel worse:) Hope you guys get some sleep!
P.S. I couldn't stop laughing at your MTC comment--good times.